Designed by architect Sebastião Soares, the church has an octagonal plan, in the classical style, and two towers. Inside, it is covered in two-color marble, has a choir and five chapels of fluted Doric pilasters.
It is a beautiful monument that dates from 1747. Its foundations are based on the remains of an old Manueline church from the 16th century, victim of the explosion of the powder gunpowder of the castle keep in September 1732. The quality, consistency the architectural and decorative design of this church, whose foundation is due to D. João V, symbolize the greatness of religion and empire.